View from Southwest
Scroll below for building history
Location: Central Campus
School of Forestry
Sq. Footage 82,863
NC State's School of Forestry has rapidly gained respect and recognition since its beginnings. The school offers its own forest resources library and over 82,000 acres of forest-- a "classroom with roots."
Biltmore Hall received its name from the Biltmore Forest School (1898-1913) near Asheville, North Carolina, which was the first forestry school in North America. The founder of the school, Dr. Carl A. Schenk, felt that NC State's School of Forestry was the successor to his school. Schenck received an honorary Doctor of Forestry Science degree from NC State in 1952 and the Schenck Memorial Forest near Carter-Finley Stadium was dedicated to his memory in 1957.
When Dr. Julius Hoffman arrived on campus with 46 students due to the closing of Pennsylvania State Forestry School in 1929, NC State started a degree program in forestry.