David Clark Labs
View from the Northeast
Scroll below for building history
Location: North Campus
David Clark Labs underwent a comprehensive renovation and addition in 2005. The project entailed renovating approximately 41,800 Gross SF of existing interior space and adding approximately 16,000 Gross SF for the department of Zoology and the Biological Sciences Program.
Today, the David Clark Laboratories are used for the study of zoology; however, their earlier use was for studies in textile chemistry. David Clark (1877-1955) was the son of Chief Justice Walter Clark, and one of five Clark brothers who attended the University, including Walter Clark Jr., for whom the the infirmary is named. By the age of 21, David Clark had earned three engineering degrees from NC State and another in mechanical engineering from Cornell University.
Clark began his career as a sweeper in a textile factory earning 50 cents per day; and, in only a few years, he owned a textile mill which failed in the panic of 1907. He gained greater success when he turned to textile publications such as The Textile Bulletin, which he edited and published. He was responsible for the establishment of University Graphics, a campus service that began as an early print shop. Clark also served on the Board of Trustees for the Consolidated University of North Carolina and was president of the Alumni Association in 1903-04. Clark was a controversial figure because of his editorials and public statements.