Each year, GAANN Fellows are allocated funds for research and course-related book, equipment, supply and travel expenses. There are several guidelines to remember when making purchases:

  1. All expenses must be directly related to your coursework or research.
  2. Textbooks that are not related to courses necessary for the fulfillment of your degree requirements are not allowable expenses. Research-related reference books are allowable.
  3. Items such as book bags, carrying cases, and furniture (including file cabinets) are not allowable.
  4. All equipment, supplies and/or books you purchase should be for YOUR PRIMARY USE ONLY. Under no circumstances may GAANN funds be used for the general operating expenses of your lab or department.
  5. Any equipment/hardware purchased will remain the property of your department after you graduate.
  6. The deadline for expenditure of all GAANN funding is the July 15 annually.

For questions on what expenses are allowable and which ones are not, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. David Shafer in the Graduate School at 515-7052 or via e-mail at

Procedures for Using GAANN Allocation for Equipment, Supplies, Books and Travel

IMPORTANT REMINDER: All purchases, reimbursements or travel expenses must be approved by your advisor.
Please have them sign your invoices or receipts before submitting them to the Graduate School.

If you intend to use the funds toward the purchase of a computer, please remember that the University is required to participate in the Combine Pricing Initiative (CPI) program for IT purchases--including computers. Details regarding the program are outlined here: Purchases of non-standard configurations are allowed if an exception is requested and approved. There is a link to the exception process on the same web site.


If you are purchasing items from a supplier that is an approved Marketplace vendor, your order should be placed through the Marketplace system. Your department will need to place the order through Marketplace for you using a department account and then initiate an IDT to move the charges the fellowship account. Fellowship purchases cannot be charged directly against the fellowship accounts. You may have your department's accounting tech contact Todd Marcks directly for the information to process the IDT.


  1. To make a payment directly to a vendor, contact Todd Marcks at or 515-1481 in the Graduate School to get a "voucher" number. (FYI--Vendors may understand the term "purchase order" number, rather than "voucher" number.)
  2. After you give the vendor the voucher number, the vendor will give you the merchandise and an invoice. Have your advisor sign or initial the invoice to signify that he or she agrees with the purchase. This is important for audit purposes. Simply send the invoice to Todd Marcks at Box 7102, and we will pay the vendor directly.
  3. NOTES: 1) If the vendor wants to send the invoice directly to the Graduate School, that's fine. Please have them mail it to the Graduate Fellowships Office at Box 7102, NC State University, Raleigh, NC27695-7102. In this case, we will need an e-mail from your advisor indicating that he or she approves of your purchase. 2) If you plan to make a purchase of over $5000, please contact Todd Marcks (515-1481) PRIOR to making the purchase. Such purchases will need to go to the NC State Purchasing Department for processing to determine the appropriate vendor

NOTE: Faculty, staff and students are required to make purchases from State Contract Vendors. Most of your regular scientific supply vendors are fine, but if you have questions, you can look at the website If you have any questions, please contact Todd Marcks.

  1. IMPORTANT: In order to use a receipt to process a reimbursement to you, the receipt must indicate a "$0" balance or be marked clearly as "Paid". Otherwise, the Accounts Payable Office will only pay the vendor, not you. If your receipt does not show that you paid it, you must also submit a copy of your credit or debit card statement or a cancelled check in order for reimbursement to be made to you.
  2. Please submit ORIGINAL receipts. Credit card receipts or photocopies will not be accepted by the Accounts Payable Office. Receipts should show where the items were purchased and an itemized list of all purchases. If the receipt is not itemized, please attach a list describing all purchases.
  3. Have your advisor sign the receipt (or a cover sheet if multiple receipts.)
  4. Write your name on each receipt (if not pre-printed).
  5. Please tape small receipts (smaller than ½ sheet) to a sheet of paper.

NOTE: It is easiest to pay the vendor directly whenever possible since it may take up to 30 days for you to be reimbursed for payments that YOU make to vendors.

(NOTE: Reimbursement for travel expenses follow University guidelines and University Accounting procedures as outlined in the Administrative Procedures Manual. This includes reimbursement for meals at the per diem rates established by the State of North Carolina.)

STEP 1) Prior to your trip, you must enter a travel authorization online through the MyPack Portal. If you do not have access to enter a travel authorization, please complete the non-employee travel authorization form (AP104).  It is available online at:

STEP 2) Upon your return, please submit your receipts for reimbursement with the Travel Reimbursement Form.

If you have any questions at all about the above procedures, please feel free to contact Todd Marcks, Fellowships and Grants Administrator, at or 919-515-1481.