Having a baby? Adopting a child? The Family and Medical Leave policy provides 12 workweeks of unpaid, job protected leave in a 12-month period for the birth, care for and/or adoption of a child or newborn, and placement of the child with you for foster care.
When should you apply: You should provide notice of your planned leave at least 30 days prior to the birth or adoption of a child. Family and Medical Leave can be used prior to the birth or adoption or placement of the child for foster care to cover physician appointments, periods of bed rest or disability, and to attend appointments related to the adoption or placement of the child.
How do I start the process: To apply for Family and Medical Leave, you must first complete the Family and Medical Leave Request Form. Once you complete the Family and Medical Leave Request Form, depending on your circumstances, must complete the following forms or provide the following information:
- Employee mother of child: Certification of Healthcare Provider for Employee’s own illness
- Employee father of child:
- If spouse is mother of child: Certification of Healthcare Provider for Family Member’s Serious Health Condition.
- If employee is father of the child but not spouse of mother: Employee should provide a copy of the birth record identifying the employee as the father of the child.
- Adoption or foster care: Employee should provide official documentation from the placement agency or service outlining specific information related to the adoption including, identifying parties, dates of meetings and/or appointments, and the official adoption or placement date.
Have Additional Questions? Contact Us
|University Leave Administrator
Margot Henion, 919-515-4319
|Workers' Compensation Administrator
Thelma Speight-Farrar, 919-513-0136
HR Leave Consultant
Becki Johnson, 919-515-4317
HR Leave Consultant
Patti Sajecki, 919-515-4272
|Workers' Compensation Coordinator
Glenda Linton, 919-515-4310
|For Cooperative Extension
Leave and Employment Coordinator
Cheryl Howard, 919-515-1377
CALS - Extension Personnel