Leave with pay, up to a maximum of 120 hours each federal fiscal year (Oct-Sept) (pro-rated for part-time employees) shall be granted to members of the uniformed services for:
- Active duty for training (annual training or special schools, including an authorized training program for the National Disaster Medical System)
- Inactive duty training (drills - usually on weekends)
If the drill is not scheduled on the employee's off-day, the employee has the option of requesting that the work schedule be rearranged, or the employee may use any unused portion of the 120 hours leave with pay, vacation/bonus leave or leave without pay.
Additional military leave needed for training can be charged to vacation/bonus leave or leave without pay at the discretion of the employee.
SHRA and EHRA employees who are full-time or part-time (half-time or more), including Research Associate (Post-doc), Teaching Associate (Post doc), Resident (Post-doc) and Intern (Post-doc) and who are permanent, probationary, trainee or time-limited.
- Employee should provide notification to department/supervisor of upcoming duty and/or schedule changes as soon as known.
- Employee should present a copy of the orders received, which reflects the effective date of the military service obligation.
- For periods eligible for military leave with differential pay, the agency requires the employee to provide a copy of their Leave and Earnings Statement or similar document covering the period eligible for differential pay.
- The employee is responsible for advising department/supervisor verbally or in writing the intention of returning for reinstatement within the time limits defined under Reinstatement from Military Leave Without Pay (pdf).
- Enter the hours charged to military, vacation and or bonus leave in the NC State Web Leave System.
- If the employee chooses to be paid out for vacation/bonus leave, an additional pay action must be entered by campus personnel representatives to payout unused vacation (up to 240 hrs) and/or bonus leave.
- Differential pay will be entered into the Human Resources System by campus personnel representatives on a monthly basis through an additional pay request action once the 30 calendar days of full pay have been taken. The earnings code is 077 for Military Differential Pay.
- If the employee goes on leave without pay status, enter a Human Resources System action with the action/reason of Leave of Absence/Military Service.
- Office of State Human Resources, Military Leave