Breadcrumb Navigation:

Human Resources > Employment > Current Page

Other Employment

help button.  click this to display help form

Ask a question

Name: Your email: Question:


Volunteers are not university employees; they perform hours of service for civic, charitable, or humanitarian reasons.

Independent Contractors

The status of a worker depends on the degree of control and independence evident in the relationship between worker and employer. Here is helpful information for those who are termed Independent Contractors.

Dual Employment

Dual employment occurs when one state agency or university secures the services of an EPA or SPA SPA employee of another state agency on a part-time, consulting, or contractual basis.

Secondary Employment

Sometimes called "moonlighting," secondary employment means that you are engages in paid employment somewhere other than NC State. You need supervisory permission to engage in Secondary Employment.

Information For Transfers

Whether you are transferring between two departments at NC State, or from another state agency, you can benefit from information for transfers.

Other Special Employment Categories

Employees Under Age Eighteen

In North Carolina, workers under the age of 18 are “minors” for employment purposes. State child labor law restricts job duties, work hours, break and meal periods, and the number of hours worked for minors. The rules depend on the type of work to be done, the season, the time of the school year or week, and the minor’s status related to school enrollment. There are severe fines and penalties for employers who violate child labor laws.

Federal child labor rules are established by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). This Act establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping requirements, and additional child labor rules. The rules vary depending upon the age of the minor and the work to be performed.

Because NC State University a state agency, a Youth Employment Certificate (YEC) or “work permit” is NOT required. Minor employees are treated as temporary employees and must comply with employment processes such as application completion, background checks, and time record completion.

Hours of Work

Basically, minors enrolled in school can work outside of school hours: late afternoon, evenings, and weekends. No one under the age of 18 in grade 12 or lower may work between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. if there is school the next day. This hour restriction can be waived with written permission from the parent/guardian and the minor’s principal/designee.

Prohibited Occupations for 16-and 17-Year Olds

Sixteen- and seventeen-year-olds may perform duties other than those declared hazardous. Examples of hazardous work include (not an all inclusive list):

  • Driving a motor vehicle (some tasks are ok for 17 year olds – check with HR)
  • Operating power-driven woodworking machines
  • Being exposed to radioactive substances and ionizing radiation
  • Using power-driven hoisting apparatus
  • Using power-driven bakery machines
  • Operating power-driven paper-product machines
  • Using power-driven circular saws, band saws and guillotine shears
  • Performing wrecking and demolition duties
  • Roofing
  • Trenching and excavation operations
  • Welding, brazing and torch cutting
  • Working where quartz or any other form of silicon dioxide or an asbestos silicate is present in powdered form
  • Being exposed to lead or any of its compounds in any form of benzene or any benzene compound which is volatile or which can penetrate the skin
  • Performing work which involves the risk of falling a distance of 10 feet or more, including the use of ladders and scaffolds
  • Working as an electrician or electrician's helper
  • Working in confined spaces as defined by OSHA
  • Performing tasks that require the use of a respirator

It is possible to hire minors under the age of 16 for some jobs. For example, 14- to 16- year olds are able to do certain types of work in retail, food service, and administrative offices. Please consult Employment Services at 919-515-2135 prior to hiring.

Additional Resources sheets/joint_state_fed.htm

Law Enforcement Employees
Law enforcement employees who record their hours over a period of 28 consecutive days rather than on a weekly basis will earn overtime at time and one-half for hours worked over 171 during the 28-day period.

The regular hourly rate for law enforcement employees is determined by dividing the annual salary by 2080 - adjusted for any shift premium pay earned during the 28-day period.

When it is necessary for an employee in a professional nursing class to work more than a regularly scheduled 40-hour workweek, the excess hours shall be subject to overtime compensation. When the person in the position normally has 24-hour responsibility, overtime compensation will not apply.

Student Employees
Student employees must be paid a minimum of the federal minimum wage hour and must be paid time and one-half for hours worked over 40 during a single workweek.

Wage guidelines for work study students are published by the Financial Aid Office.

Other students may be paid in accordance with wage guidelines for temporary employees published by Human Resources.

Temporary Employees
Temporary employees must be paid at least minimum wage. Temporary employees are normally subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and earn time and one-half for any hours worked over 40 in one week. Exemptions from overtime are extremely rare and occur only in the highest level positions. All overtime must be paid; temporary employees do not earn or use compensatory time.

Note: If the Application for Staff Employment is not used to employ the temporary, a selective service compliance form must be completed and retained by the hiring department.

Agricultural Employees
Agricultural employees include workers who cultivate the soil, grow or harvest crops, perform dairying, raise livestock, bees, or poultry, or perform closely related research. Agricultural employees come under a special exception to the general provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Hours worked over a 12-month period should not exceed 2080, and any balance at the end of the growing season over 2080 must be paid. Because agricultural work is highly seasonal, and the hours of work for agricultural employees are variable, the period of time during which compensatory time-off is taken is extended to 12 months (current growing season). Any compensatory time balance at the end of the 12-month period must be paid at time and a half.

Note: If an agricultural employee leaves state service, leaves the university, or transfers to another department, any compensatory time balance must be paid.