Faculty & Staff Assistance Program

help button.  click this to display help form

Ask a question

Name: Your email: Question:

Personal issues, planning for life events or simply managing daily life can affect your work, health and family.  The NC State University Faculty & Staff Assistance Program (FASAP) Program provides support, resources and information for personal and work-life issues.  The FASAP Program is university-sponsored, confidential and provided at no charge to you and your dependents,  This page explains how the FASAP Program can help you and your family deal with everyday challenges.


Employee Resources

Confidential Counseling

Someone to talk to.

This no-cost counseling service helps you address stress, relationship and other personal issues you and your family may face.  It is staffed by GuidanceConsultants - highly trained master's and doctoral level clinicians who will listen to your concerns and quickly refer you to in-person counseling and other resources for:

  • Stress, anxiety and depression
  • Relationship/marital conflicts
  • Problems with children
  • Job pressures
  • Grief and loss
  • Substance abuse

Financial Information and Resources

Discover your best options.

Speak by phone with out Certified Public Accountants and Certified Financial Planners on a wide range of financial issues, including:

  • Getting out of debt
  • Credit card or loan problems
  • Tax questions
  • Retirement planning
  • Estate planning
  • Saving for college

Legal Support and Resources

Expert info when you need it

Talk to our attorneys by phone.  If you require representation, we'll refer you to a qualified attorney in your area for a free 30-minute consultation with a 25% reduction in customary legal fees thereafter. Call about:

  • Divorce and family law
  • Debt and bankruptcy
  • Landlord/tenant issues
  • Real estate transactions
  • Civil and criminal actions
  • Contracts

Work-Life Solutions

Delegate your "to-do" list.

Our Work-Life specialists will do the research for you, providing qualified referrals and customized resources for:

  • Child and elder care
  • Moving and relocation
  • Making major purchases
  • College planning
  • Pet care
  • Home repair

GuidanceResources Online

Knowledge at your fingertips.

GuidanceResources Online is your one stop for expert information on the issues that matter most to you... relationships, work, school, children, wellness, legal, financial, free time and more.

  • Timely articles, HelpSheets, tutorials, streaming videos and self-assessments
  • "Ask the Expert" personal responses to your questions
  • Child care, elder care, attorney and financial planner searches


Employer Resources

Management Referrals

Management may refer an employee as a direct result of unacceptable job performance or personal conduct, potential workplace violence, or any other issue deemed appropriate by management and Employee Relations.

Contact: employeerelations@ncsu.edu at 515-6575 for more information.

Critical Incident Stress Management and Debriefing

In the event of a critical incident in the workplace, through coordination with Employee Relations, ComPsych counselors can provide consultative services to management regarding appropriate trauma management. In addition, trained counselors can provide critical incident stress debriefings (CISD) for employees exposed to a traumatic event in the workplace.

Critical incident stress management services require prior consultation with Employee Relations.

Contact: employeerelations@ncsu.edu at 515-6575 for more information.


* Please Note: Temporary employees, students (including graduate students) and individuals in visitor/ no-pay status are not eligible to access FASAP services.

Contact: Employeerelations@ncsu.edu at (919) 515-6575 for additional information.

Performance Management

An integral program to support the professional development of employees, Performance Management helps ensure that employees understand expectations, receive timely feedback, have access to training and receive rewards in an equitable manner. Performance Management resources for both supervisors and employees include:

EPA Performance Management

Although there is no formal EPA policy for performance management, many departments require a formal yearly performance evaluation. For more information, contact your department's Personnel Representative.

Supervisors who require assistance with Performance Management may contact Employee Relations at 515-6575 for support.

Faculty Performance Management

Faculty are evaluated in various ways. Links to several policies are listed below. Additional information regarding faculty performance management is found in the Policy, Regulations, and Rules website.

Faculty who wish to dispute a performance review must do so through the Grievance Procedure for Faculty, Senior Academic Administrative Officers Tier II (SAAO Tier-II) and EPA Professionals.



SPA Performance Management

NC State maintains a system in which every university SPA employee participates in a work planning and performance appraisal program. Supervisors and managers direct this program while promoting active employee involvement.

The performance management process begins on June 1 of each year, and concludes the following May 31. This cycle is repeated yearly. There are three stages of the cycle.

Employees are responsible for performing the job expectations that are described in the work plan. They are also expected to seek clarification from supervisors on any portion of the work plan or performance appraisal process that is unclear or in question.

Performance appraisals will be conducted for probationary employees after six months of employment (twelve months for law enforcement officers) or at the time the employee is being considered for permanent status.

Employees and supervisors who have questions about the performance appraisal process or employees who would like to file a Performance Pay Dispute should contact Employee Relations, 515-6575.


Planning occurs at the beginning of the performance cycle when the employee and supervisor meet to discuss the employee's:

  • Work plan
  • Performance expectations
  • Development plans
  • Performance tracking methods

It is the supervisor's responsibility to develop the work plan and effectively communicate it to the employee. The work plan must be presented to the employee no later than 30 days after their hire date or 30 days after they have had a change in responsibility.

This process applies to all SPA employees, both career-banded and non-career-banded. The relevant forms can be found below.

For help developing an employee's work plan, contact Employee Relations, 919-515-6575.


There are two major components to managing employee performance.

  • The day-to-day tracking of SPA employees' progress toward achieving performance expectations outlined in the work plan
  • An Interim Review conducted midway through the performance cycle (typically in November or December)

Managing also includes providing on-going feedback to employees through coaching and frequent discussions throughout the performance cycle. These discussions should be held on a regular basis, as well as in response to changes in performance. At some point during the performance cycle, (typically during the Interim Review) supervisors may need to address performance deficiencies with their employees.

Each work plan has a section for Performance Improvement Plans where supervisors can document what improvement is required. This section, if used, should specify the steps an employee can take to gain the knowledge or skill needed to perform certain tasks and must clearly indicate what steps the supervisor will take to ensure that the employee acquires that information. The expected results must be specified so that both the employee and supervisor understand and agree on what is to be gained.

Finally, time frames for completion and demonstrated improvement should also be set.


Appraising is the evaluation of SPA employees' work during the entire performance cycle as it compares to the expectations documented in the work plan. Appraising occurs at the end of the performance cycle, in May. Any permanent SPA employee who has worked at least six months during the performance cycle under an approved work plan is considered to have completed the performance cycle for performance pay purposes; except for probationary law enforcement officers, for more information see below. This stage of the process results in a completed performance appraisal document and an annual rating.

The rating scale has been established to provide consistency in the performance management process throughout NC State. Each numerical rating has an associated definition. The rating scale is summarized as follows.

  • Outstanding (5) - Performance is far above the defined job expectations.
  • Very Good (4) - Performance meets the defined job expectations and in many instances, exceeds job expectations.
  • Good (3) - Performance meets the defined job expectations.
  • Below Good (2) - Performance may meet some of the defined job expectations but does not fully meet the remainder.
  • Unsatisfactory (1) - Performance generally fails to meet the defined job expectations or requires frequent, close supervision and/ or the re-doing of work.

Probationary employees who have worked for the university less than six (6) months must receive a rating of seven (7), representing insufficient time to evaluate. This rating also applies to all law enforcement officers who have yet not completed their 12-month probationary period.

Employees out on Extended Leave, including Military Leave, Family Medical Leave, Family Illness Leave, LWOP, etc., should be assigned a rating of eight (8) - Extended Leave Status, which will remain active until their return.

For a full description of all the ratings, refer to a copy of the Work Plan and Performance Appraisal Form.

In general, supervisors are responsible for:

  • Implementing each stage of the performance appraisal process
  • Communicating information to employees so they understand their job expectations and respective roles in the department

Employees are responsible for:

  • Performing the job expectations that are described in the work plan
  • Participating in career development opportunities

They are also expected to seek clarification from supervisors on any portion of the work plan or performance appraisal process that is unclear or in question.

Employees and supervisors who have questions regarding the performance appraisal process should contact Employee Relations, 919-515-6575.

Transfer Appraisals

An SPA employee transferring to another university department or state agency must receive a transfer appraisal from his/her current supervisor to be forwarded to the gaining unit. Likewise, a supervisor must document employees' progress on current work plans in conjunction with the next level manager prior to leaving a supervisory position. The appraisal should be documented on an NC State SPA Transfer Appraisal form, with a copy provided to the employee.

Employees and supervisors who have questions regarding transfer appraisals should contact Employee Relations, 919-515-6575.

Is Training Available for Supervisors?

Employee Relations provides training for supervisors on how to implement and manage the SPA Performance Management Program. Courses are designed to provide an overview of the process and associated regulations as well as teach supervisors the basics of developing work plans, conducting interim reviews, and appraising employee performance. Skill practices include

  • Completing the SPA Work Plan and Performance Appraisal form
  • Identifying common errors made in determining performance ratings
  • Assigning appropriate ratings to selected examples of performance

Please contact Employee Relations, 919-515-0700, if you are interested in scheduling training for performance management.

Employee Relations, as well as Training and Organizational Development, offer custom training as needed.

Training for Performance Management in Career-Banded Positions

If you manage employees in Career-Banded positions, you can see an overview of performance management with the new banded work plan form in this training presentation. This presentation was given at the general banding overview sessions for the Administrative Support banding initiative. You may also view the entire banding overview training, including more information about the bands, competency profiles and compensation. A completed sample banded work plan is available for your review as well.

What If I Disagree with my Performance Appraisal Rating?

SPA employees have the right to formally dispute annual performance ratings, performance pay decisions and some Career Banding decisions. Disputes must be filed with the Division of Human Resources within 15 workdays of receipt of the written appraisal and will be handled in accordance with the university SPA Performance Pay Dispute Resolution procedure.


Separating Employees

Employees can voluntarily or involuntarily separate from the University.

An employee who voluntarily resigns his/her position is expected to provide appropriate notice, complete the Exit Interview process, and assist management in the transition of work.

Management may elect to involuntarily separate any employee under appropriate procedures. All employees who are involuntarily separated should receive written notice of separation from their department.

Separation events:

An employee who is separating and needs information regarding last paycheck or obtaining employment references should contact his/her Personnel Representative. For information on benefits, including retirement, separating employees should contact the Benefits department, 919-515-2151. Please contact Employee Relations, at 919-515-6575, for additional assistance.

EPA Separations

An EPA employee's initial appointment and any reappointment(s) for a permanent EPA professional position may be either "fixed-term" or "at will." Any appointment designated as "employment at will" is subject to continuation or discontinuation at the discretion of the Chancellor or Chancellor's designee.

Giving Notice of Resignation

EPA employees are expected to provide their immediate supervisor with one month of advance written notice of resignation. EPA employees on contract are encouraged to work towards a mutually agreed upon termination date if the individual intends to voluntarily separate prior to the completion date of their contract. In the absence of exceptional circumstances, failure to provide sufficient notice may result in being ineligible for rehire.

An EPA employee may be involuntarily separated, with appropriate notice, for any of the following reasons:

  • Discontinuation
  • Expiration of a Fixed-Term Appointment
  • Termination of Employment Because of Financial Exigency or Program Curtailment or Elimination
  • Discharge for Cause

Supervisors should contact Employee Relations, 919-515-6575, when considering a discontinuation or any disciplinary action for an EPA employee. Individuals separated from EPA positions may have access to the University Grievance Procedures for Faculty and EPA Professional Employees and should contact the Chair of the Faculty Senate for further information.

For additional information, see the University Procedures, Regulations and Rules, Employees Exempt from the State Personnel Act (EPA) Policy.

Faculty Separations

Faculty maybe discharged or terminated as a result of:

  1. incompetence, neglect of duty, or misconduct of such a nature as to indicate that the individual is unfit to serve as a member of faculty, or
  2. a demonstrable, bona fide institutional financial exigency, or
  3. the major curtailment or elimination of a teaching, research, or public service program in accordance with the provisions of section 605 of The Code.

For more information on faculty separations view the Academic Tenure Policy or contact Employee Relations, at 919-515-6575.

SPA Separations

An SPA separation occurs when a University employee is dismissed, resigns, transfers, retires, dies, is separated due to unavailability when leave is exhausted, or subject to a reduction in force.


An involuntary dismissal occurs in accordance with the Disciplinary Action, Suspension and Dismissal Policies adopted by the University.

Prior to being dismissed for Unsatisfactory Job Performance, permanent employees must receive at least 2 written warnings including a final written warning. Being dismissed for Unacceptable Personal Conduct or Grossly Inefficient Job Performance does not require previous disciplinary action in your file.

SPA employees who are separated for Unacceptable Personal Conduct or Grossly Inefficient Job Performance are not eligible for rehire with the University. This includes employees who resign once disciplinary action for dismissal due to Unacceptable Personal Conduct or Grossly Inefficient Job Performance has begun. Employee Relations is responsible for maintaining the no rehire list.

In special circumstances and at the department's discretion, employees may be given the option to resign in lieu of dismissal.

For more information on separation policies contact Employee Relations, 919-515-6575, or review the policy on SPA Successive Discipline.

Giving Notice of Resignation

Employees are required to provide their immediate supervisor with written notice of resignation at least two (2) weeks or ten (10) workdays prior to the last intended workday. The last day the employee reports to work is the separation date. In the absence of exceptional circumstances, failure to provide sufficient notice may result in being ineligible for rehire.

Voluntary Resignation Without Notice

When an SPA employee fails to report to work for a period of at least three consecutive workdays without giving verbal or written notice to his authorized supervisor, the employee may be considered to have abandoned his/her job. As a result, the employee may be subject to disciplinary action, or be separated from employment as a Voluntary Resignation without Notice. Such separations may not be grieved or appealed. Contact Employee Relations, at 919-515-6575 with questions.

Separation Due to Unavailability When Leave is Exhausted

An employee may be separated from the university if:

  • he/she becomes and remains unavailable for work after all applicable leave credits and benefits have been exhausted; and
  • his/her supervisor, for sufficient reasons, does not grant leave without pay.

Prior to separation, management shall meet with or notify the employee in writing of the proposed separation. The employee shall have an opportunity either in this meeting or in writing to propose alternative methods of accommodation. It is management's responsibility to consider the employee's proposed accommodations. If the proposed accommodations or other reasonable accommodations are not possible the employee must be advised in writing of the final separation decision and effective date.

Separations Due to Unavailability may be grieved or appealed through the University grievance procedure or if alleging discrimination go directly to the Office of Administrative Hearings.

For additional information on this policy, contact Employee Relations, 919-515-6575, or refer to the OSP Policy on Separation Due to Unavailability.

Probationary SPA employees, temporary employees, or employees with time-limited permanent appointments may be laid off with limited notice and without reference to the university's RIF procedures. These employees are not eligible for priority reemployment or severance pay.

Employees subjected to RIF may grieve under the university's SPA Grievance Procedures.


An SPA employee transferring to another university department or state agency must receive a transfer appraisal from his/her current supervisor to be forwarded to the gaining unit. Likewise, the transferring employee's supervisor must document that employee's progress on current work plans in conjunction with the next level manager prior to leaving a supervisory position. The appraisal should be documented on an NC State SPA Transfer Appraisal form, with a copy provided to the employee.

For more information on transfers please visit Employment.


Employees who submit application for retirement will have to sign the following statement:

I understand that by completing an application for retirement and associated paperwork that I am submitting my intent to retire from North Carolina State University.”

This notice will be shared with your department at the time you complete the application or no later than 30 days prior to the effective date of your retirement.  Upon receiving such notice, your department will confirm your intent to retire and make arrangements with you concerning submission of your resignation.  Once your resignation is accepted, please be aware that your position may no longer be available even if you subsequently decide not to retire.

A retiring employee should attend a Ready, Set, Retire session for instructions on completing the retirement process and how Social Security and Medicare work in conjunction with the Retiree Health Plan.

Review the NC State Retirement Guides for helpful information you will need when you retire from the University.

For more information on retirement, contact their Benefits Consultant or call 919-515-2151.  Please contact Employee Relations, at 919-515-6575, for additional assistance.