Work Visas

Immigrant or Permanent Resident visas are of indefinite duration and, once obtained, are not tied to the employer. Normally, an individual will have a valid nonimmigrant status prior to and during the filing of a Permanent Resident application.

Nonimmigrant Visas are normally used for temporary employment. Common types used by NC State University include H, TN, E-3, O, and B visas. They are limited by allowable time and are normally tied to the employer. They are usually much faster to obtain, and many people first obtain nonimmigrant visas before proceeding to a permanent visa.

Adjustment of Status Application, or I-485, is the personal application of the beneficiary. Application is made through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) and includes the I-485 application, and supporting applications and documentation.

Travel and Security Checks can be an issue when obtaining visas at U.S. Consulates. Immigrants and nonimmigrants need to be aware of them.

Diversity Visa ("Visa Lottery"): Each year in the early fall the Department of State conducts a lottery for a limited number of visas.

International Students and Scholars should contact the Office of International Services (OIS) for any assistance they require.

Note: All foreign nationals (including permanent residents and children) are required to report any change in address within 10 days to USCIS using Form AR11.

Please notify the International Employment Office of your new address.