Breadcrumb Navigation:

Human Resources > Payroll > Current Page

For New Foreign National Employees

help button.  click this to display help form

Ask a question

Name: Your email: Question:


Welcome to the NC State University Payroll Online New Employee Orientation for Foreign Nationals.  Whether you are a student who also has a job on campus or you are a PostDoc or a Professor there is one thing you all have in common – you are all going to be receiving pay from the University and there are some things you will need to do to make sure this happens.  Below you will find instructions, as well as "Quick Training" videos, that will review what you need to do and what information you'll need to provide to University Payroll's Foreign National Tax unit.  Please contact the Foreign National Tax unit if you have any questions.


Phone: 919-513-3846

Tax Assessment

All Foreign Nationals who are going to be employed on campus or who will be receiving a fellowship or scholarship are required to have a tax assessment.  A tax assessment is a review of your tax liaiblity in the United States based on treaties that the US has with other nations.  In many cases you may be exempt from paying some, if not all, US taxes, however, you will not be eligible for these exemptions until you have your tax assessment.    You should request a tax assessment as soon as you know that you are (1) going to be employed on campus or (2) receiving a fellowship/scholarship.  To schedule a tax assessement appointment go ti:

A tax assessment is a requirement of your employment and must be completed prior to you receiving your first paycheck. 

Special Note:  If you are on a J-1 or H1B Visa please email directly for an appointment.

Social Security Number

Another requirement of your employment is a Social Security Card.  You will need to go to the Social Security Administration to apply for one.  More informaiton regarding this process will be provided to your during your tax assessment.

Note: You are not eligible to have your paycheck deposited into your bank account (direct deposit) until you have complete a tax assessment AND presented your Socisl Security card to the Foreign National Tax office for review.

Pay Schedule

Students are paid bi-weekly for the two week period ending two week prior to payday.  For a list of paydays and the pay periods they cover, refer to the Bi-weekly Pay Schedule.

All faculty, staff and postdocs are paid 1/12th of their annual salary on the last business day of the month. Refer to the Monthly Pay Schedule for a list of paydays. Employee's paid on the monthly payroll are paid the current month's pay each month.

Employee Self Service

Employee Self Service (ESS) is online resource accessible from anywhere there is an internet connection. Through ESS you'll provide your banking information for direct deposit (once you have provided us with a Social Security number), view your monthly pay statements, print your W-2 year end wage & tax statement and more. You will need your Unity ID and password to access ESS.

Please tax a few moments to watch our short introduction to ESS.

An introduction to Employee Self Service   (running time 3:35)

Direct Deposit

All employees are required to  provide their bank account information so that the University can deposit their pay directly into their account(s).   As soon as you provide the Foreign National Tax unit with a copy of your Social Security card you will need to enter your banking information into ESS.  If you enter this information and we do not have a social security number on file for you, the information will be deactivated.

Please review the "Quick Training" video on direct deposit (below) which will explain what information is required and how to enter it into ESS. Funds will be deposited into your bank account by 10:00 am on payday.

Direct Deposit Quick Training Video (running time 5:01)

Year End Tax Statement

All Foreign Nationals who are receiving wages from the University will receive either a W-2 or a 1042S or both at the beginning of each year for the prior calendar (tax) year.  You will need these statements to file your income tax returns.

 W-2 Tax and Earnings Statement are processed in January for the wages you received in the prior calendar year.  Due to IRS regulation the University is required to print your W-2 and mail it to your home UNLESS you tell us you prefer to receive your W-2 electronically and that you do not want us to mail you a paper copy.  You can consent to receive your W-2 electronically and to not have one mailed to you home by logging into MyPack Portal>Employee Self Service>W-2 Consent.

1042-S Forms are processed in February of each year for the prior calendar year. The University will provide Form 1042-S to those of you who qualify for one.  These forms are currently not available electronically.  They will be sent to your department for distribution by February 28th.

Reviewing your Pay Advice

A statement of what you are being paid, including what taxes are being deducted, is available for viewing online via Employee Self Service three (3) days before the bi-weekly payday and seven (7) days before the monthly payday. Select “View Paycheck” under Payroll and Compensation for a list of all your paychecks. The most current paycheck will display at the top of the list.