Gardens, Museums, and American Castles of Southern California
Join JCRA Director Bob Lyons, Ph.D. on an excursion to and tour of some extraordinary garden sites in the Los Angeles region of Southern California on March 10-15, 2002. Situated in a climate better known for its two seasons of "wet and dry," these gardens are quintessential examples of unique plant collections and grand opulence of days gone by. Our visit will be near the end of the rainy season which has brought on spring color in true west coast fashion.....beautiful.
Major sites planned for this trip include:
- Descanso Gardens in La Canada, Flintridge – www.descanso.com
- Hearst Castle, San Simeon - www.hearstcastle.org
- The Huntington Library, Collections, and Botanical Gardens, San Marino - www.huntington.org
- The Arboretum of Los Angeles County, Arcadia - www.arboretum.org
- The Getty Center & Gardens, Los Angeles County - www.getty.edu
The cost will be $1,099.00 per person, double occupancy and $1,399.00 per person, single occupancy. This includes roundtrip airfare from Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU), five nights hotel accommodations, motorcoach throughout, garden and museum entrance fees, baggage handling, one dinner, and all taxes and gratuities.
The hotels are as follows:
- Palm Springs - March 10 - Hilton Inn Palm Springs Resort
- Los Angeles (Monrovia area) - March 11 & 12 - Four Points Sheraton
- San Luis Obispo - March 13 - Embassy Suites
- Los Angeles (Westwood area) - March 15 - Doubletree Westwood
March 10 - Depart from RDU at 7:55 AM, via Chicago, arrive Los Angeles at 12:41 PM
March 15 - Depart Los Angeles at 11:22 AM, via Dallas, arrive RDU at 9:19 PM
Proposed Itinerary, may be subject to minor changes:
- Departure RDU/LAX
- Stop for lunch enroute to Palm Springs
- Palm Springs to Joshua Tree National Park, early departure (1 hour from Palm Springs)
- Morning tour of Joshua Tree
- Depart for Los Angeles around noon, stop for lunch enroute to LA
- Afternoon tour of Descanso Gardens
- The Arboretum of Los Angeles County and Huntington Botanical Gardens
- Los Angeles to San Simeon
- Hearst Castle
- Overnight in San Luis Obispo (Great small college town - picturesque!)
- San Luis Obispo to Los Angeles
- Afternoon tour of Getty Museum followed by tour group dinner finale.
- Morning departure LAX/RDU
Deposit: $200.00 per person at time of booking - $100.00 NON-REFUNDABLE once deposit is received.
Final Due Date: January 23, 2002 (45 days prior)
For more information or to place your reservation, please call Judi Grainger of Custom Travel at (919) 872-4420.