Office of International Services

Finding Jobs

Many international students wish to engage in part-time employment during their studies. Employment may be possible for those in a nonimmigrant status that permits employment and students are cautioned not to work without authorization (when it is necessary) or outside any regulatory restrictions (e.g., more than 20 hours per week). Employment infractions inevitably result in SEVIS terminations and are not offenses that can be overlooked or easily remedied.  

Many graduate international students are offered a teaching or research assistantship and are eligible for the Graduate Student Support Plan. This is by far the most common type of employment (and support) found among the international student community at NC State. Assistantships are offered through the graduate academic department only and inquiries about availability should be directed to the departmental director of graduate studies (DGPs) since the stipend amount and number of tuition remission slots vary by each college and department. Be careful not to accept employment off-campus or receive money from a source other than the University Payroll Office. 

Other students find temporary on-campus jobs in various auxiliary units on campus (e.g., computer labs, the Carmichael gym, library, dining services, evening patrol with campus police, etc). Sometimes on-campus jobs are advertised on billboards on campus, in the Technician (student newspaper), at the Career Services office or Financial Aid office, etc. Most students learn about jobs through “word of mouth” from their friends or professors. The University Career Center also has information about finding jobs on campus.  

A US Social Security card is not required to get a job offer and neither is it proof of employment eligibility. The social security number is used by US employers to correctly report and withhold taxes for all employees - domestic and international. Non-immigrants are not eligible to apply for a social security number unless they are in a status that permits employment and until they have a specific job offer (be sure to request a job offer letter or job confirmation letter indicating title, hours, salary, site of activity, etc.).  

Students who wish to engage in a co-op (or off-campus internship) will find assistance in locating off-campus employers from the Co-op office. Students who are eligible for co-op and attend the orientation session will receive help in crafting a resume and contacting relevant US companies.