Office of International Services

Off-Campus Research Assistantship

F-1 students are generally permitted to work a maximum of 20 hours per week on campus (paid through NCSU Payroll) during the regular academic semester. Students can work more than 20 hours per week during official semester breaks and during the Summer semester as long as they are (pre-) registered for the Fall semester.  F-1 students at the graduate level can be permitted to work at an off campus location if the employer is educationally affiliated with NCSU. This educational affiliation must be associated with the university's established curriculum or be related to contractually funded research projects at the graduate level – in any case, the employment must be an integral part of the student’s degree program and payments must come through NCSU payroll.

Please note that F-1 and J-1 students are considered to be working 20 hours a week on campus if they hold a halftime teaching/research assistantship. Additional appointments, supplemental pay, or additional pay for hours worked beyond the 20 hour per week maximum will violate a student's immigration status.

Students interested in this type of employment should complete and submit the Off-Campus Research Assistantship Request Form prior to starting the employment. This form requests approval from your Advisor and Director of Graduate Programs. The form can be submitted via e-mail to or submitted in person at the OIS front desk. The student will receive a new I-20 from OIS within 5 business days of receipt of the form.

Once hired, international students must make an appointment with the Foreign National Tax Specialist in the Payroll Office to complete one or two additional tax withholding forms. This is necessary so that the University correctly withholds the appropriate amount of taxes for the student and they are not charged more than required.

In order to accept salary or wage payment from U.S.-based source, it is necessary to obtain a Social Security Number.