Departmental Responsibility Regarding International Students
Providing a clear explanation of the rights, responsibilities, requirements, and options to international students is a partnership between OIS advisors and the academic advisors (DGPs, Graduate Secretaries, Committee Chairs, Coordinators of Advising, and others) in the department. OIS advisors refer all academic questions students may have to their DGP or Coordinator of Advising and we routinely depend on departmental advisorsí recommendations for immigration related items such as estimated dates of completion, verification of normal academic progress, whether off-campus employment might be integrally related to a studentís academic program, etc. Certain actions that the student or department may take can have serious immigration consequences or may require pre-approval or immediate notification requirements in SEVIS. Please let OIS know of major changes with an international studentís program, funding, personal circumstances, or health.
Please notify OIS in the following circumstances:
Inform OIS of any communication received from the new student regarding cancelation, deferment, difficulty in obtaining a visa and late arrival on campus.
- Remind new students to attend the OIS check-in and Orientation (both mandatory).
- Ensure students are registered full time.
Throughout the Studentís Degree Program:
- Forward any information to OIS regarding changes in the studentís degree program, withdrawal, non-attendance, termination of program, any circumstances obstructing the studentís ability to make normal academic progress.
- Assist student with completion of the academic department sections of employment request forms, change in curriculum/level request forms, program extension forms, etc.
- For more information on how to hire international students explained from an employer perspective, please visit the Employer Guide to Hiring Internationals.
Inform OIS if a student is terminated/suspended, decides to change program and not continue, does not return/continue after travel abroad.