Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi North
Carolina State University Chapter 033 (Established 1923 )
Carolina State University Chapter 033
(Established 1923 )
Phi Kappa Phi is a national honor society established in 1897 to recognize and promote academic excellence in all disciplines of higher education. Phi Kappa Phi is the oldest, largest, and most selective of all such honor societies.
NC State Chapter Officers:
David Shafer, President
Kathy Brown, Past President
Susan C. Grant, Secretary-Treasurer
Michael Bachman, Induction Ceremony Coordinator
A Gabriel DeCaro, Nuclear Engineering
Erika Grandstaff, Anthropology
Christina Lamaire, Chemistry
March 28, 2017: 102nd Phi Kappa Phi Induction Ceremony
Courtney Vaughn, Biological Sciences
Christopher Brittain Cooper, Chemical Engineering
Shannon Osborn, Biological Sciences*
*McKenzie Study Abroad Grant - Established in 2011 from the generosity of past Society President Wendell H. McKenzie, Ph.D. and his wife Georgie McKenzie, the grant is given annually to a successful applicant from North Carolina State University.
Johanne I. Laboy, Doctoral Candidate in Communication, Rhetoric and Digital Media
Elizabeth W. Hyde, Veterinary Medicine
Kristina Simmons Bactutis, Veterinary Medicine
March 29, 2016
April 7, 2015
April 8, 2014
April 2, 2013
March 27, 2012
March 29, 2011
March 23, 2010
History of Phi Kappa Phi:
Phi Kappa Phi was founded at the University of Maine in 1897 by a group of students, who wanted an honor society that would represent a broader diversity of disciplines than any currently existing society. The original name for the society was Lambda Sigma Eta. In 1898, the name of the society was changed to the Morrill Society in honor of the sponsor of the Land-Grant College Act. Interestingly, NCSU was one of the land-grant colleges established by the Morrill Act of 1864. In 1900, the presidents of the University of Maine, the University of Tennessee, and Pennsylvania State University gathered together to change the Morrill Society into a national honor society, renamed Phi Kappa Phi. These Greek letters represent the initial letters of the motto Philosophia Krateito Photon, which translates into "Let the love of learning rule humanity."
NC State Chapter:
Our chapter was founded in 1923. Dr. W. A. Withers, who was head of the Department of Chemistry (for whom Withers Hall is named), was instrumental in this Chapter's organization.
Benefits of Membership:
Badge: The badge of the Society is a globe surrounded by the rays of the sun in eight groups, signifying the equal status of all branches of learning. The rays represent the dissemination of truth. Encircling the world is a band on which are the Greek letters Phi Kappa Phi, representing the bond of intellectual fraternity that encircles the earth and holds all men and women in a tie of common purpose.
Ribbon: The white ribbon of the Society is bordered with the design known in applied art as the "Walls of Troy," with the letters Phi Kappa Phi at the top. Troy represents the classical humanities and the walls symbolize the constructive skill of the sciences.Seal: The seal of the Society consists of the badge surrounded by the Walls of Troy. Above are three stars to represent the three original chapters and below are the words "Founded 1897."
For more information about any of these topics, please see the National Phi Kappa Phi website.