September 01, 2005
Out of Gas: Extension cancellations and postponements
Following Gov. Mike Easley's mandate to save fuel, Cooperative Extension employees have been asked to restrict "non-essential" travel until further notice. The interruption of gasoline production caused by Hurricane Katrina may cause fuel shortages in this part of the country.
Several organizations and groups have cancelled or postponed plans for upcoming meetings, and those are listed below. If you have a cancellation or postponement to share, enter it under "comments" below.
The governor's travel directive, effective through Sept. 15, states:
1. All out of state travel except that directly related to disaster recovery is prohibited.
2. All in-state travel is restricted to those activities that are related to law enforcement and public safety, public health, due process hearings, emergency situations and/or the custody/care of persons for whom the state is responsible.
3. The Division of Motor Fleet Management is prohibited from issuing any state owned motor vehicle unless an Agency Head or Chief Deputy has personally signed the Motor Fleet Management Request for Vehicle Form.
4. All state departments and institutions are to immediately stop the mowing of grass and the use of any gasoline driven motors for routine grounds or roads maintenance, except for safety reasons.
5. In lieu of face to face meetings, the use of teleconferencing is encouraged. Teleconferencing sites are located in multiple locations throughout the state.
The following events have been postponed or altered due to travel restrictions:
* The NCEAFCS State Meeting, scheduled for Sept. 6-8, has been postponed and all association hotel reservations cancelled. The meeting will be rescheduled.
* The Epsilon Sigma Phi Board meeting scheduled for Friday, Sept. 9, has been switched to a conference call. Members will be notified of the call-in number.
Posted by Natalie at September 1, 2005 03:34 PM