Tourism Extension Focus Group Held in Duplin County
Focus groups in each NC Cooperative Extension Service District are being held for Extension Directors and Agents interested in shaping the future of NCSU Tourism Extension programs and materials. The first of five focus groups was held for the SouthEast District on November 28, 2012 at the Duplin County Center in Kenansville, NC. Dr. Erin Seekamp, Tourism Extension Specialist, facilitated this first session.
NorthEast District Focus Group
The second Tourism Extension focus group was held in Chowan County on December 4, 2012. Participants worked together compiling a wall full of ideas for possible future projects for our NCSU Tourism Extension Team.
SouthCentral Focus Group in Stanly County
The last focus group for 2012 was held in Albemarle on December 12. Dr. Carla Barbieri, Tourism Extension Specialist, facilitated this session. Lenny Rogers, CED in Alexander County, had lots of ideas to share. The Tourism Extension Team have two more focus groups to hold in early 2013.
Tourism Extension Welcomes Erin Seekamp
Dr. Erin Seekamp Joins Tourism Extension as Assistant Professor and Tourism Extension Specialist. Erin hopes to build a research and extension program on sustainable tourism planning, including promoting green tourism, establishing tourism partnership networks, enhancing rural tourism diversification and envisioning alternative tourism developments scenarios to best protect heritage values, biophysical conditions and social meanings.
Tourism Extension Welcomes Duarte Morais
Duarte Morais is currently an Associate Professor in the Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management Department at NCSU. We are pleased to announce that he will also have a split appointment as a Tourism Extension Specialist.
Tourism Extension Welcomes Carla Barbieri
Carla Barbieri joins Tourism Extension and the Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management Department as Assistant Professor and Tourism Extension Specialist. Carla's current research interests are in sustainable tourism. She comes to NCSU from the University of Missouri, where she was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism in the School of Natural Resources.
Sanders Ridge Farm, Vineyard, and Winery
Sanders Ridge is located just outside of the Yadkin County community of Boonville, North Carolina. Once a traditional farm, you will now see the many USDA certified organic vegetables, herbs, and cut flowers at the Sanders Ridge Farm. Just down the road, you'll find the 15 acre vineyard, the Winery and Restaurant.
Piedmont Farm School
Carla Barbieri was a guest lecturer for the final class day of the 2012 Piedmont Farm School on October 24, 2012. The program is a seven-month educational and outreach program that trains beginning and transitioning farmers. Carla's presentation, Agritourism: Is it Right For You and Your Business? can be viewed here.
- 2013 State Extension Conference November 4-6, 2013 at the McKimmon Center, N.C. State University.
Targeted audience: Extension Agents, County Directors, and Specialists
Lodging registrations are available NOW. Click here for a list of recommended hotels that are already under contract to offer participants the "conference rate".
- Check out Extension Agent Roy Thagard 's video on agritourism in Greene County, North Carolina.
- What does ICAR and P1T have in common? Just ask Dr. Duarte Morais. A new partnership with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and North Carolina State University was established recently. Read more about this new partnership.
- Duarte Morais, Associate Professor and Tourism Extension Specialist is featured in the autumn issue of COASTWATCH, People-First Tourism: Connecting with Nature's Bounty.
- Check out our newest Agritourism Factsheets, Agritourism, farm visits, agro-tourism, oh my! Do consumers, farmers, and extension agents speak the same language? AND Using social media to market agritourism.
On the Road with
- Dr. Duarte Morais will present a seminar on Social Media for Marketing on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at the O.P. Owens Agriculture Center in Robeson County. This is part of a series of Sustainable Tourism Seminars for farmers, small business owners, and aspiring entrepreneurs.
- Dr. Duarte Morais was an invited guest at the 2013 Statewide Summit hosted by the North Carolina Folklife Institute held on September 27, 2013 in Chapel Hill, NC.
- The Corn Maze of Development: An Assessment of Tourism Extension Needs in North Carolina. Presented by Jennifer Iyengar at the National Extension (NET) Conference, Detroit Michigan, August 6-9, 2013. See more.
- Piedmont Farm School, Carla Barbieri, Guest Lecturer, Sanders Ridge Vineyard and Winery, Boonville, NC October 24, 2012. Agritourism: Is it Right for You and Your Business?
- SouthEast North Carolina Cooperative Extension District Directors' Meeting. Kenansville, NC. October 11, 2012.
- South Central North Carolina Cooperative Extension District Directors' Meeting. Dallas, NC. October 4, 2012.
College of Natural Resources
Bringing science, technology, policy and people together for a healthy and sustainable tomorrow.
Parks, Recreation & Tourism Mgmt
CNR's department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management.
Empowering People. Providing Solutions.
NC Division of Tourism, Film & Sports Development
Offers comprehensive marketing and promotional programs to bolster the travel, wine, film and sports industries.