Adverse Weather: Friday, April 19, 2019
The National Weather Service predicts moderate risk for severe weather for our area starting at 11 a.m. on Friday, April 19, 2019. Severe thunderstorms are expected along with the potential for damaging wind gusts, flash flooding, tornadoes and hail. NC State officials continue to monitor the situation closely.
Please use caution when going outside throughout the day, and check back here for updates on campus operations. Also, please check the National Weather Center forecast throughout the day for the most up-to-date information on the storm. For more information about the university’s adverse weather policies, please click here.Severe Weather Safety
Please take the following precautions if a tornado warning is issued for the area:
If you are indoors:
- Get to a sheltered area such as a basement, ground floor, bathroom, interior hallway or stairwell.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Get under a table or desk and cover your head.
- Remain in protected area until the danger passes.
- Do not use water faucets and sinks. Metal pipes can conduct electricity.
If you are outside:
- Take cover and lie flat in the nearest ditch and cover your head with your arms.
If you are in a car:
- Get out and take shelter in the nearest ditch, ravine, or culvert and cover your head with your arms.